The Logo of the Charley Heritage Group

A photo of the clay urn that contained the Roman Coins

THE ROMAN COIN HOARD

On 2nd June 1840 two monks of Mount St. Bernard Abbey, Brother John Patrick McDanell and Lay Brother William Hickin, were ploughing a field on the monastery estate known as Bottom Watchley when their plough unearthed an urn, which contained approximately 2000 Roman coins. The coins were later identified as being from the time of Gallienus and Tetricus 1 who lived in the third century AD.

There was speculation that the coins could indicate Roman occupation of the area but this has since been discounted and it is thought that they were placed there ‘in hiding’ and forgotten. Who placed them and at what period cannot be discerned.

The remaining coins are now housed at the Newarke Houses Museum in Leicester.

 

Back to Home